Biarritz - Parc des Sports d'Aguiléra
Serge Kampf Stand
Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque (also known as Biarritz Olympique and abbreviated as BOPB) is a French professional rugby team based in the Basque city of Biarritz, Aquitaine, competing in the ProD2 following relegation from the Top14 in the 2013-14 season. Biarritz play their home matches at the Parc des Sports d'Aguiléra, a multi-use stadium with a capacity of around 13,500 people. For games that require a larger capacity, Biarritz have moved fixtures to the much larger Estadio Anoeta in San Sebastian, though this hasn't been required since the drop to the second tier of French rugby.
Ground Information Back to Top ^
The Aguilera is a reasonably compact ground with spectators being kept fairly close to the action. However, with the two main stands being fairly recently-built and the ground being open at both ends, the atmosphere isn't quite as imposing as at some grounds in the French Top 14. There are two covered stands (all-seaters) known as the Serge Blanco and Serge Kampf running the length of the pitch on either side, with unobstructed views from both.
Both stands have corporate boxes at the rear and the newer of the two
(the Serge Kampf) has a large function room on the ground floor where
pre- and post-match receptions are held. The areas behind the two goals
are currently unoccupied but this is set to change in the near future -
plans are currently being drawn up for development of these sections of
to Top ^
Aguilera is fairly central to Biarritz (just over 1 mile from the City Centre to ground) but is situated in a residential area, so even though there are a couple of car parks in the area the roads in the proximity of the ground can get extremely busy.
is well-served by the French rail network, with TGV high-speed services
operating from destinations including Paris (5.5 hours) and Bordeaux (2
hours) and regular services from Bayonne (10mins) and
Toulouse (4 hours) amongst others.The Biarritz train station is not
within walking distance of the ground. However there are a number of
buses that can be taken to the town centre or straight to the ground.
The RailEurope website offers tickets and a useful journey planner.
International Airport is only a few kilometres from Biarritz with
regular flights from a number of European cities including London,
Dublin and Manchester. Either take the bus or grab a taxi to get into
Alternative airports that are not too far away are Bilbao (90 minutes drive) and Bordeaux (two hours drive or train)
Drinking Back to Top ^In The Ground
There are several bars in the ground but the best option is probably to start off in town and head up for a couple prior to kick off. As the French aren’t huge drinkers (of beer that is), getting served never seems to take very long!
Before/After the Game
- Red Cafe – Biarritz's main rugby pub where the supporters club (Aupa BO) usually host opposing supporters. Slightly more central but as Biarritz is quite small nothing is too far away.
- Bar Jean – A great bar in the ‘Les Halles’ area of town. Les Halles is the old market which is a wonderful place to wander around, particularly on a Sunday morning! Excellent food also.
- Le Rendez Vous – Very small bar, also in Les Halles, but owned by a young couple who used to run Blue Cargo, one of the places to be seen in Biarritz in Summer! Great cocktails and lovely tapas at the bar.
- Bar du Marche – Similar to Bar Jean and in the same area however not quite as big. Usually a great atmosphere here.
- Les Colonnes – Recently refurbished and extremely central, just off Place Clemenceau. High quality restaurant but also ideal place for people watching whilst having a coffee or glass of wine.
- Le Maitena – Residential area (St Charles) and owned by some rugby-mad guys. A good place to watch the game as it always has a great atmosphere and is less touristy.
to Top ^
- Most of the bars also serve up food, but if you're looking for something a little more upmarket try Chez Albert in the Port des Pecheurs.
- Le Caritz in Port Vieux was once owned by club legend Pascal Ondarts and was a must visit for any rugby supporters coming to Biarritz - however the new owners have taken all his pictures down and it seems to have lost much of it’s appeal!
- Two really good 'cidreries' that serve excellent good at a good price are Cidrerie Hernani and Los Dos Hermanos
Sleeping Back to Top ^There are a wide range of hotels in Biarritz ranging from Le Grand Hotel at circa €700 per night right down to aparthotels but one that has been used to host a number of rugby groups is the Hotel Gardenia (http://www.hotel-gardenia.com). The Radisson has also got excellent reviews and has a pretty nifty roof terrace pool and bar.
Can you add more information for this section? Let us know here!
Make a Trip of It Back to Top ^What, apart from the miles of surfer-friendly beaches, bars and restaurants? It's a slight pity that most rugby tourists will be in town during the colder, rainier months, but you'll still have a great time on the Atlantic Coast. If you have a day to spare, the beautiful Basque city of San Sebastian / Donostia is around 50km away. Buses are available or if you are happy to change trains at the border, this is also an option.
- Can you add information to this section? Let us know here.
- The club were formed in 1913 through a merger of the
Biarritz Stade and Biarritz Sporting Club rugby teams.
- Biarritz made the final of the French Championship for the
first time in 1934, falling to defeat by Bayonne.
- The following season Biarritz claimed their first
championship, defeating Perpignan in the final. In the next decades the
two sides contested two further finals, with one win and one defeat for
- Biarritz have won a number of major honours, including the
French Championship on five occasions.
- The Basques were losing finalists in the Heineken Cup in
2005-06 and 2009-10.
- The club won the Amlin Challenge Cup in 2011-12, defeating Toulon in the final.
Add Your Information
- Got something to add? Spotted a mistake? The Rugby Ground
Guide is dependent on your input to make it work
- You can submit information or images here.